Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Each man has an aptitude born with him. Do your work.
Ralph Waldo Emerson


Just returned from my annual week away at art camp. I'm slightly depressed upon return, I suppose it's like postpartum syndrome, I've looked forward to it all year and it felt like the fastest week of my life. This is my daily routine for five days:

6:30-7 am wake up and get coffee
7 - 8:30 paint. I usually set up in one of several buildings, and alternate between painting inside or on the porch depending on the weather/heat, and get to leave my things there all week.
8:30-9:00 breakfast bell rings, all I have to do is show up.
9:00-1:00 paint
1:00 lunch bell rings and eating routine is repeated
1:30-6:00 paint/attend a demo/ try to rest but am too excited to be painting 
6:00 shower and fix drinks
6:30 dinner bell
7:30 walk and visit with friends
8:30-9:30 paint


It is so wonderful to have all of those hours uninterrupted to paint, to fully concentrate, and be able to leave everything as is until the next day. It's open studio but the artist in residence, who, incidentally, is THE funniest person I've ever met, is incredible to watch doing a demo and so inspirational. I know that instead of feeling disappointed to be returning to real life I should simply be grateful that I could attend the camp. That leaves me even more sad because I'm even more mad at myself for having these feelings. Oh the life of a tortured artist...
Here are a few of the pieces I finished last week:



No comments:

Post a Comment