Saturday, August 8, 2015

Potty Talk

“The holy grail is to spend less time making the picture than it takes people to look at it.”
Banksy
 
 
 
It is a little known fact that I am the world's first Toilet Artist.
No, I don't do paintings of toilets.
 No, I don't paint while I'm on the toilet. (There are so many jokes I could insert here, but it's just too easy, so I'll let it go this time.)


 My paintings (and prints) do, however, hang above a surprising number of toilets, and are hanging in a LOT of bathrooms all over the place. It seems that the 12" x 18" print or little 10" x 10" paintings I often make are PERFECT for the space above many commodes.  This is the truth. I cannot tell you how many people come up to me at shows and say, "I just love that painting I bought from you! It looks perfect over the toilet!!" Or, "The colors on this are perfect for my BATHROOM!"


I was actually in a conversation a few weeks ago about this very thing when someone walking by tapped my shoulder and said, "I just want to tell you how much I love my prints from you! I look at them every day when I go to the bathroom!" The timing was perfect.


I've even witnessed this phenomenon several times firsthand -- visiting a friend's bathroom and seeing my Orange Zinnia hanging proudly over the  toilet.  Even at Nimrod Hall, the "art camp" that I go to each summer to paint, 2 -- count 'em -- bunny prints hang in the bathroom right by the dining hall (seen by the masses).


I have gotten so used to hearing this, that when someone approaches me and says," I just got my painting hung..."  I interrupt them and say, "Wait!! Don't say it! I know!"

I'm flattered to have my art hanging anywhere, and flattered that so many people tell me how good it looks. I also know that people spend a lot of time in their bathrooms.  Including me. I happen to have Crohn's Disease, which you don't often hear a lot of details about because it involves a lot of bathroom trips. The irony of this situation is not lost on me, not for a minute. So I'm going to smile, be flattered that my pieces get a lot of viewing time, and know that there aren't many of us who can self declare Toilet Artist Queen.



So come on, all you lovers of ZouZou: send me your photos of yours truly hanging in your bathrooms , or post them on my Facebook page! It just might make a good coffee table book.


Here are a few...
 
This bathroom has actually been made into a ZouZou's Basement "shrine". There are other paintings and prints of mine in here -- very flattering! Some very good friends live here, so I visit often.
 
 
Yep, right above the toilet. This bathroom looks pristine!!!
 
 
Send me your photos!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment